Friday, August 25, 2006

The Hair E-mails

So, Darrell Hair offered to resign from the ICC Panel, in return for a payment of half a million US dollars.

The e-mails, all apparently sent on Tuesday, make fascinating reading. First we have Hair, in a tone which seems to imply he thinks he's in some kind of position of strength:
I appreciate the ICC may be put in a untenable position with regards to future appointments and having taken considerable time and advice, I make this one-off, non-negotiable offer.

I am prepared to retire/stand down/relinquish my position on the elite panel to take effect from 31st August 2006 on the following terms...

He goes on to ask for a one off payment of a cool half million dollars, and to say:
I reiterate this is a once only offer and if I fail to obtain your agreement....

Evidently the words of someone who believes he has an offer that's worth considering, and, as far as it seems, someone who thinks that the ICC would be willing to pay not to have to make the awkward decision about whether or not to employ him in games involving Pakistan again.

Doug Cowie (the Umpires' boss), replies, CC'ed to Dave Richardson, ex-SA wicket keeper, qualified lawyer and ICC General Manager. And then Hair sends another!
It appears from overnight developments that the issue of racism has arisen and from advice I have just received, the sum indicated in my release offer is being revised.

Which way, I wonder? One can only assume up... In which case, what the hell is Hair playing at? This is really starting to sound like pay me to keep quiet.

The killer, though, is the reply from Malcolm Speed, the ICC's boss. It's without question a very hard slap. I don't think Mr. Speed is at all pleased with Darrell:

The matters raised by you concerning your future employment are entirely inappropriate. [my emphasis] There is a clear process that is to be followed and it is in place. I will call you tomorrow to advise as to progress.

Hair's reply puzzles me:
Thanks Malcolm, I have revoked the email.

As you say it is inappropriate and we will see how things unfold over the next few days. It would appear that life will go on regardless.


"As you say...": in other words, he knew it was?
This correspondence was composed after a very difficult time and was revoked by myself two days later after a period of serious consideration.
Doesn't quite gel with the purported dates on the mails, either.

Kudos to the ICC for releasing the emails: Speed's comment on Hair is priceless:
"I have said to him that he is not sacked, he is not suspended, and he has not been charged.

"I also said to him that I didn't guarantee that each of those three positions would be maintained indefinitely."

Bloody right.

No comments: